FDC Name:British Design Classics.
Issue date:13th JAN'2009.
Details:Ten no's of stamps was issued with FDC by Royal Mail.The details are as follows
- 1stClass–Supermarine Spitfire-The superlative Battle of Britain fighter with its distinctive elliptical wings was designed by R J Mitchell who sadly died before the plane went into production.
- 1stClass Large–Mini Skirt-Mary Quant rewrote the fashion rules for women forever with her daring design.
- 1stClass–The Mini-Sir Alec Issigonis made use of every available space in the small car that was as much a fashion statement as a means of transport.
- 1stClass–Anglepoise Lamp-George Carwardine’s flexible design brought light wherever it was needed.
- 1stClass–Concorde-Aerospatiale and BAC’s supersonic jet was capable of twice the speed of sound and beautiful to look at too.
- 1stClass–K2 Telephone Kiosk-Sir Giles Gilbert Scott’s design bright-red phone box always stood out on the streets of the UK.
- 1stClass–Polypropylene Chair-Found in public buildings throughout the world, almost everyone will have sat on a Robin Day chair at some time.
- 1st Class–Penguin Books-Edward Young’s book jacket design was instantly recognizable as a Penguin edition.
- 1st Class–London Underground Map-Harry Beck’s easy to understand design was based on an electrical wiring diagram.
- 1st Class–Routemaster Bus-Once a symbol of London to visitors from all over the world now only a few of Douglas Scott and Colin Curtis’s remain on London’s streets.
- Photography-Jason Tozer
- Acknowledgements-Supermarine Spitfire © Royal Air Force Museum, London; Mini Skirt supplied courtesy of Mary Quant; Mini supplied courtesy of Beaulieu Enterprises and used by permission of MINI UK; Anglepoise Lamp reproduced with permission of Anglepoise Holdings Limited – Anglepoise is a registered trade mark of Anglepoise Holdings Limited; Concorde supplied courtesy of Museum Sinsheim and used by permission of British Airways plc; K2 Telephone Kiosk supplied by Unicorn Kiosk Restorations; the Robin Day Polypropylene Chair manufactured and distributed by Hille Seating Limited; Penguin Book reproduced by permission of Penguin Books Ltd; Routemaster Bus courtesy of London Transport Museum; Underground Map and logo © & ® Transport for London
- Stamp Size-35mm x 35mm
- Print Process-lithography
- Number per Sheet-30/60
- Perforations-14.5 x 14.5
- Phosphor-Background screen