- 1.20 Yuan- White Horse Temple, ChinaWhite Horse Temple was the first Buddhist temple in China, established under the patronage of Emperor Ming in the Eastern Han capital Luoyang in the year 68. For more details about the tample please visit the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Horse_Temple
- 1.20 Yuan (2-2): Mahabodhi Temple, IndiaThe Mahabodhi Temple (Literally: "Great Awakening Temple") is a Buddhist temple in Bodh Gaya, the location where Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha, attained enlightenment. Bodh Gaya is located about 96 km (60 miles) from Patna, Bihar state, India. Next to the temple, to its western side, is the holy Bodhi tree. In the Pali Canon, the site is called Bodhimanda, and the monastery there the Bodhimanda Vihara.For More details Please go to this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabodhi_Temple
About Bodhagaya place where Mahabodi Temple situated:Bodh GayaThe Buddhist Path begins with Faith, then Knowledge, then Experience, and finally Wisdom. Since the Path begins with faith, which can include devotion to the Buddha, in appreciation for the teachings, a good practice to complete some time in your life, is a pilgrimage to Bodh Gaya. This is the place in India where the Buddha attained enlightenment. Buddha sat in meditation under the Bodhi tree and attained enlightenment in the year 528 B.C. The Maha Bodhi temple marks this spot. The original Bodhi tree was destroyed and the current one next to the Maha Bodhi temple is a descendant of the original. The original tree was located at the spot of the main Buddha statue in the Maha Bodhi temple, making the temple truly the most sacred spot in Buddhism.
The Buddha attained enlightenment in Bodh Gaya and also regularly went back there for seclusion, for more meditation, a sort of retreat place for him.
- In Islam, the holiest place is Mecca, the birthplace of Mohammed. The religion is centered around the prophet Mohammed as he is considered the final prophet by many Muslims.
- In Judaism, the holiest place is Jerusalem. The city of Jerusalem is the capitol of the ancient and modern nation of Israel. The religion of Judaism is centered on ideas that the Jewish people are both a faith and a people. Especially in Israel, the people see themselves as both a people and a religion.
- In Christianity, a very holy place and pilgrimage site is also Jerusalem, but not for the above political reasons. Christians venerate Jerusalem as the place of Jesus' crucifixion. The Christian faith is centered around the death of Christ, believing that Christ rose from the dead in Jerusalem.
- The clear contrast in Buddhism is that it is not the place of his birth, not the place of his death, but rather the place of enlightenment that is so important. Buddhism is a come and see religion with much effort required of each individual. It is a hard work religion and this is why the enlightenment place is venerated most of all.This is not to disparage or say that the other religions are bad or in any way lower, but it is just interesting to see the differences in the religions as to what they define as the most important pilgrimage site.Even though one can achieve enlightenment anywhere, there is a recommendation by the Buddha for pilgrimage for those who can afford it and have the time to do so. From the Maha-parinibbana sutta, Digha Nikaya:“Ananda, there are four places the sight of which will arouse strong emotion in those with faith. Which four? Here the Tathagata (enlightened one) was born, this is the first place. Here the Tathagata attained Enlightenment, this is the second place. Here the Tathagata set in motion the Wheel of the Dhamma, this is the third place. Here the Tathagata attained final Nibbana without remainder, this is the fourth place. The monk or nun, layman or laywoman, who has faith should visit these places. And anyone who dies while making a pilgrimage to these places with a devout heart will, at the breaking up of the body, be reborn in heaven.”
Remark:Nice JI FDC posted by my friend from China,he has specially cancelled this FDC for the local postmark and was superb.The FDC reached here safely by Indiapost though it was raining heavily.Mostly in rainy days FDC & postmark are damaged by Indiapost due to poor handling.